November 25 Blackwater Patrol

06 Jan
January 6, 2013

Spirit of Moonpie and I spent the 25th through the 27th on the Blackwater below the Steel Bridge. The water was clear at 5 ft on the USGS gauge. Air temps ranged from 33 to 60 degrees. But let me tell ya, that first day with the wind blowing was a COLD day! Trash was actually not too bad, for that part of the river, but then I was there October 23rd so it had been cleaned up then by me. The fishing on this trip was fair, if you like catching bowfin. I caught about 10 the one day I really fished. All were caught on the blade bait jigged vertically. I caught one nice largemouth and one speckle also on that same lure. I talked to a fellow that caught 30 bass the 25th. I saw him catch several so I don’t think he was pullin my leg. He told me he was catching them on a plastic worm. I spent my whole first day of this trip developing a new base camp. Whew, that was a lot of work. It is a pretty little place with a beaver pond on one side and the river on the other. That also makes it a cold place. It will really be cold this winter when the pond freezes and the river water gets in the 30’s. I’ll be kinda like a sandwich in a cooler surrounded by ice. Nothing really spectacular happened on this trip. I saved two turtles that were ummm, lets say having some social issues. Poor things were having to take turns grabbing a breath of air as they were about drowning each other. I dipped them up in the landing net and they managed to separate. It looked pretty painful and I don’t know how they survived that 33 degree first night on the surface of the river. I guess the water temperature was warm enough to keep them from dying. If you can’t figure out what I’m talking about, I guess you might can look at the picture and get the idea. I don’t want to go into any great detail here as this is a family oriented publication! I let them both go on the sunny side of the river on a nice little beach. They both looked at me blinking for a few seconds like they were saying thank you then went their separate ways. The only other real notable occurrence was the first night I did get the coyote wake up serenade at about 2 am. They were on my side of the river this time which was a little disconcerting. It sounded like a pretty good size pack and they were really doing the spooky cry/screaming/howling thing, enough so that I ended up with a Moonpie in the sleeping bag with me. They never sounded like they were any closer than about a mile away so I was really not too worried about a visit. That’s never happened yet but I guess eventually it will. I guess that’s why they are called a nuisance species and I’ll just have to deal with it. I just hope somebody don’t get the bright idea of re-introducing cougars, panthers or wolves back into the area. I love wildlife and do a lot of work to promote and protect that wildlife, I just don’t want to end up being somewhere on the bottom of the food chain on the two rivers we call the Blackwater and Nottoway.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply