February 24th Through 26th Blackwater Trip

26 Feb
February 26, 2009

Moonpie & I spent the 24th through the 26th on the Blackwater above Joyner’s Bridge. The water was clear and 42 degrees.

Air temps ranged from a body numbing 15 to 50 degrees, which of course the warm day was on the day I left. I picked up only a small amount of trash and want to thank VDGIF biologist Eric Brittle for picking up the trash in the parking lot at the boat ramp. I saw no other water quality issues. The fishing on this trip was pretty slack, well at least for me it was. I only caught three blackfish, one a 7.2 pounder and one nice 2-pound largemouth. I saw one fellow out there do pretty well with minnows. He had a mixed bag of speckle, yellow perch and bass. One of the main reasons I wanted to go to this part of the river this trip was to take a look at a civil war rifle pit used by the Confederates. It was too cold to fish anyway so it was a good day to do that. Moonpie & I found the pit thanks to a friend marking it and we proceeded to check it out. It was impressive and much larger that I had imagined. There is no doubt this is the spot in the history books called Lawrence’s Ford. It was VERY challenging to investigate the site though as it is thick with very large briars. After we toured the site we looked like two monkeys picking fleas off each other removing the briars from our backsides. We even found where the crossing was on the East side of the river as it was still the flattest piece of shore on that side. The rifle pit is an interesting piece of this areas history and as such should remain protected. So do not call me and ask where it is cause I’m not telling.
Yeah, did I mention how cold it was? 15 degrees is like the second coldest trip I have ever been on. It was so cold that the nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries that I use in my radio actually froze and stopped working. I could put the radio beside the fire and it would start to work again, take it away and it would stop! I tried this a couple of times because I just could not believe it. On the morning I woke up that was 15 degrees I awoke to this terrible noise outside the tent. I quickly donned my Nanook suit and crawled out of the tent 44 magnum at the ready. The growling grunting sound was coming from Moonpies tent. My God I thought, something has crawled in there and eaten my Moonpie. I kicked the tent and jumped back ready to terminate the Moonpie munching critter. Suddenly the tent door blew out and this horrible looking (and smelling) miniature fuzzy walrus came charging out, tusk gleaming and slashing in the early morning sun. Well it scared me so bad I fell backwards over a root and ended up flat on my back loosing the big gun in the process. Next thing I heard was the sound of laughter, Moonpies laughter. Wow I heard her say (as I was still on my back) some protector of the camp you are. I sat up and could not believe what I was seeing. Moonpie was the fuzzy stinky walrus. She had 8-inch long snotcicles hanging from her nose, which made them look like tusks. Have you seen yourself today I ask, oh Moonpie said you mean these things as she shook her head breaking them off. Yeah I grew these two gems last night just to let you know that if its ever going to be 15 degrees at night you are to NEVER take me out on the two rivers we call the Blackwater and Nottoway.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply